Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Small Covered Book of Mormon

Several months ago I saw this great project that my niece Brittni's YW group had done. I loved it and decided I needed to make some for my girls. So, after getting some verbal directions from Brittni's YW leader and fumbling thru my first one, I made several more and decided to write down the instructions for anyone else who liked the idea.
I purchased the small military size books from the Church distribution center. To start you want to buy super heavy duty magnets and glue two to the front cover. Recommended: Darice brand from Joann's, 18x3mm. I used a tacky glue for the whole project.

Cut your fabric 6 1/2" x 18" and iron on a heavy pelon or Wonder Under (cut size 5 1/4" x 17").

Fold your fabric edges up over the lining. You can finger press or iron them.

If you want to add the ribbon embelishment, I glued the first end to the left edge of the fabric, about 2 1/4" from the bottom. Fold the left side over about 2 3/4".

Spread the glue on the frabric from the fold out to the left edge and on the cover of the book. I didn't spread the first one I made and it seemed to get a few air pockets so get it covered and pressed on well.
Fold your glued edge over into the inside cover. Be careful to keep glue from squishing out and getting stuck to the first page. Continue gluing and wrapping around the spine and back cover.


Cut two pieces of metal plumbers tape, approx. 4 1/2 " long. Glue the first one down almost up to the edge of the back cover and the other one about 1 3/4" from the edge of the back cover. Spread your glue on the rest of the fabric and top of the plumbers tape.
Fold the remaining fabric over and into the inside of the back cover - leaving about 2" (the space with the plumbers tape) coming out from the backside. This will be the piece the folds up and over to make your magnetized clasp/closure. Finish by gluing your ribbon around the outside and add any other embelishments.

Ta da! The finished product! I'm excited to give these away, but I'm not sure when I'll do it. I may end up saving them for Christmas presents. (Shh! Anelieze, don't tell : ) The yellow/orange one in the top right is the first one I made. I think the blue polk-a-dots might be my favorite now that they are done.

5 comments:

anelieze castrejon said...

i am SO bookmarking this! great job on the tutorial, natasha!

emily barlocker scott said...

Cute. Now I feel like a loser since the last crafty thing I made was in 2007.

Tasha said...

Whatever! You just sewed some awesome pioneer aprons. Ok, so maybe they weren't so awesome...: )

Tasha said...

And Emily, there's no way I will EVER match your level of humor. Whether that's a high level or low level...that remains to be seen... :P

Alisa said...

I LOVE it! Let's get together and you can show me personally how to do this!