Sunday, May 22, 2011

Emergency Preparedness

So today after the closing prayer in Sacrament meeting the Bishop stood up and called out several families in our ward and asked them to stand up. He then told them that a disaster has struck and they have no electricity, no gas, no water, and the cell phone towers are all out. This will last from noon today until midnight tonight. They must use whatever emergency supplies they have to get thru the next 12 hours. Next week for our 5th sunday combined priesthood/relief society we will be discussing emergency preparedness and he would like them to share their experiences.

One of the family names that was called: Eric and Shae Law & Family.

Because this isn't a true emergency, I find it hilarious!! The look on Shae's face, was priceless. (Guarantee'd she didn't find it hilarious.) However, I am also fascinated by what I believe is a very effective exercise. I know everyone that was there today is thinking about what they'd be doing if they had just been called out and put in the same situation.

I'm not deaf, I've definitely been hearing the very frequent reminders lately to be prepared (thus the food I canned and blogged about a few weeks ago, which is still sitting in my living room). I feel the urgency to get further prepared with emergency kits etc. I do have one with some very basic things but it needs a whole lot more added to it.

Shae and Eric didn't have any warning. We won't either. Are you prepared?

0 comments: